Embracing the Curls While Taming the Frizz
As summer winds down I wanted to address “Frizzy Hair.” We will have humidity for a few more weeks in the Chicagoland area and parts of the country have it much longer. I have personally taken a break from straightening my hair on a daily basis and embraced my curls. I always admire curls on others as I am a true Curly Girl. However, I struggle with wearing my hair natural as it tends to lean towards “frizzy hair” if I have not taken the time to work with the curls.
There are many things you can do to combat frizz. First things first is drying your hair after washing it. Believe it or not your towel matters! Use a microfiber towel to blot the excess water from your hair instead of a terry cloth towel. This will keep moisture in your hair which is exactly what you need.
For our curly haired clients, keep in mind you can also apply your curly products to your hair in the shower for a good moisture lock.
Using a rich deep conditioning mask weekly can also help combat frizzy hair.
Both Aveda and Oribe have formulated products that both work in the moment and protect your hair from future damage. We have listed our favorites below and we added a discount to them for you to give them a try. I personally use these products and can say, they will always be a part of my hair ritual.
Botanical deep conditioning treatment is a great way to get ahead of damage and hair that won't settle down in humidity.
Aveda conducted a study and 92% of the participants said their hair looked healthier and less damaged instantly after a treatment and using their botanical masque.
The botanically derived line has a plant-powered bond building system that strengthens and repairs from within. Avocado, green tea and sacha incihi oils help to smooth, detangle and prevent breakage. The plant-derived formula protects and shields hair from future damage.
Oribes moisture and control masque is one of my favorite conditioning treatments for controlling frizz and curly in humidity. It moisturizes with coconut and almond oil and prevents breakage and damage by hydrating your hair.
If you have the option to let your hair air dry in the summer or high humidity weather your hair will be prone to less Frizz. You can use a diffuser when drying your hair but less is more when trying to lock in moisture from your anti-humidity products. Leave your fingers out of it and let the diffuser do the work!
Here are our favorite Anti-humidity products:
1. Oribe Gel Serum: Forget what you know about gel. This magical, gold-flecked potion with active moisturizing agents brings sophisticated hold with shine rather than stiffness. Gorgeous!
2. Oribe Curl Gloss and Hydration Hold: Curl without crunch. This lightweight glossing gel shapes and shines for ultra-hydrating control. A blend of Brazilian extracts, including passion flower, jicama and cupuacu fight humidity and deeply condition for soft yet defined curls that hold all day.
3. Curl Gelee for Shine and Definition: This silky, hydrating curl jelly tames, shapes and styles, making coils more manageable. Macadamia, neem and apricot oils moisturize and detangle strands. The result: ultra-shiny, smooth, defined curls.
4. Aveda Be Curly Style Prep: Pre-style treatment creates the perfect foundation for curly hair styles. Detangles, moisturizes and defines curls as it seals the cuticle, taming frizz all day.
5. Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer: Styling cream that helps define and intensify natural curls and waves by fighting frizzy hair and adding shine.
My absolute favorite product for smoothing hair to combat against “Frizzy Hair” I love this product for a fabulous blowout or when wearing it curly!
A luxe reinvention of leave-in conditioner, this supreme cream satisfies the thirstiest hair, calming frizz, elevating shine and restoring hair to supernatural softness.
Especially loved by medium-to-thick and extra-long hair.
Did you know…
You can book a styling session for a session on how to curl your hair?
Book a 1 hour styling session with one of our Curly haired specialist.